A naturopath supports a person wellness holistically and treats the whole person by looking at the person’s diet, lifestyle, stressors, background and medical history. The naturopath uses screening tools such as iris, blood, stool, urine and hair analysis and functional testing to assist in the treatment. Nutritional and herbal medicine, diet and lifestyle recommendation and therapies such as massage, acupressure or Bowen therapy maybe integrated in the treatment (Better Health Channel, 2018).
Naturopathic principle is based on the body can heal itself with support from the healing power of nature to the body, mind and emotion. The naturopath can relieve numerous conditions in all ages and some naturopaths are also qualified in emotional healing utilising flower essences. Both well and unwell person can benefit from naturopathy in enhancing the body to healing itself naturally and preventing from illness (Australian Natural Therapists Association, 2018).
The seven core principles of naturopathic medicine are:
- The healing power of nature (vis medicarix naturae). The body is believed to have an ability to heal itself.
- First do no harm (primum non nocere). Naturopaths favour noninvasive treatments to reduce risks of side effects and refer to other health care practitioners when necessary.
- Find the cause (tolle causam). Naturopaths find and eliminate the underlying cause(s) of disease.
- Treat the whole person (holism). Naturopaths treat the whole person by taking mental, emotional, spiritual, physical, dietary, genetic, environmental, lifestyle and other factors into account.
- Preventive medicine. Following a healthy lifestyle recommending by naturopaths can help prevent disease and retain minor illness from developing into a serious or chronic condition.
- Wellness and health promotion. Naturopaths promotes positive emotion, thought, intention and action which will help healing the disease quicker than the treatment alone.
- Doctor as teacher (Docere). Naturopaths educate the patient to be responsible in their own health.
(Micozzi, 2006, p. 307-309)
Australian Natural Therapists Association (2018). Naturopathy. Retrieved 26 October, 2018, from,
Better Health Channel (2018). Naturopathy. Retrieved 26 October, 2018, from, https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/naturopathy
Micozzi, M.S. (2006). Fundamentals of Complementary and Alternative Medicine (4th Ed.). St Louis, Missouri: Elsevier USA.